World Champs Excerpts
See excerpts of the World Champs of Public Speaking. Our very own Kay Lindsay came second in the semi-finals, and was beaten by Ryan Avery, who later won the finals. So Kay was knocked out by the best in the world, well done to her!
Here's a quick preview of the finals from Toastmasters International.
From Leader to Speaker to Professional
One of the greatest motivators is to share in the success of a fellow Toastmaster.
Adolph P Kaestner, AC g, CL, DTM and PDG epitomises what can be achieved if you put your mind to
learning and putting into practice what you learn.
Adolph (Dolf) Joined Toastmasters in 1983 (The Nib Club ) and within 18 moinths he had achieved his first
CC (Since done 12 more) and in 2 years his AC. Dolf Became embroiled in the administration of the club ,
then Area and was Are Governor of the year in 1986. In the same year he became D74 Lt Gov. Marketing
and then went on to become the District Governor in 1988/89. Under Dolf’s “maverick” and “young turk”
Leadership District 74 achieved Distinguished, in fact Select Distinguished Status # 7 worldwide for the first
time since we became a district 10 years earlier. Dolf has completed every manual and workshop available
in the TM catalogue and is currently still the most decorated Toastmaster in D74’s history.
After giving over 13 years to the Movement as an administrator, trainer and leader Dolf decided it was
time to get into the Speaking side of Toasties and in 1996 he won the International Prepared contest and
Represented D74 at the World Champs in the USA. He also holds the D74 Evaluation Title and 3 rd polace
in the D74 Impromptu.
The next challenge was to enter the Professional Speaking Circuit. Adolph did this in 1992 on a part time
basis and then in 2003 he gave up a very successful career of 30 years in the Bank to follow his dream of
becoming a Professional Speaker, Trainer and Mentor. He is presently following this career and has just
been elected President of the PSASA (Professional Speakers Association of Southern Africa) for 2012/13.
For those of you thinking you want to follow the same route why not give Adolph a call and meet with him
to see how and what it takes to do this.
His contact details are:
27 December 1931 – 31 October 2011
A Memorial Service will take place at
14:00 on Tuesday 15 November 2011
at Rosendal Retirement Centre
585 Pretorius Street, Arcadia
Telephone: 012 341 7600
Past District Governors Ian Flint, Adolph Kaestner and Mike Levinrad pay tribute to this giant of Toastmasters in Southern Africa.
THE GIVER GIVES HIS LAST LESSON
Adrian Spruyt DTM joined Toastmasters in 1969 when there were but a few clubs in Southern Africa.
As a man with strong views and opinions he soon made his mark in the movement and after serving in his club and the then Council of Southern Africa he was elected as Chairman in 1976. This was just 2 years before we became a fully fledged District in 1978.
Laughter is the best Medicine
LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE FOR TOASTMASTERS
District Public Relations Officer
Cell: 083 265 2180
Fax: 086 531 1017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Cape Town / 15th October 2011 - Not only is Dr Lizo Bango a dedicated medical doctor but an eloquent, entertaining and champion speaker. He recently won the Toastmaster’s District 74 Humorous Speech contest which was held at Quest Conference Centre in Vanderbijlpark. District 74 includes contestants from all provinces in South Africa as well as the 8 other neighbouring Southern African countries.
- I came! I saw! I was blown over!
- Toastmasters Awards Communication and Leadership Award 2011
- Message from our District Governor
- Giving young speakers confidence
- Can Toastmasters cure social phobia?
- Positive Speakers Toastmasters club in Sowetan newspaper
- Amplifying a natural talent
- Making words work
- Get your message across with Telephonix
- Mexicon DVD now available
- Greenside Toastmasters’ First meeting
- Nerd busters
- Two South African Toastmasters volunteer at historic soccer event.
- My experience of the Toastmasters International Convention in California, 2010
- Communication in a New World
- FIFA is forgotten, the Berghaan begins...
- Wildlife photographer heads for World Championship of Public Speaking
- Re-live Laduma, take the conference home with you
- Toastmasters Conference featured on Times Live website.
- Durban Toastmasters support Comrades
- Tips for Effective Communication
- Talking up a storm for Durban
- Division F contenders for LadumaCon
- Event Photos
- Gold Reef Toastmasters Awareness Day
- Rainbow Nation Toastmasters Awareness Day
- Training completed on how to build a new club
- Gift of the Gab
- Growcon - a success
- Division F humour contest finals
- Toastmasters welcome youngest DG
- Farewell to Martyn
- TRAINING INTO THE FUTURE Research into ways we can improve COT 1
- Toastmasters a great experience!
- Toastmasters judge high school students' speech contest
- Improving oneself as an engineer or business person
- Local educator and television teacher receives top Southern Africa award for communication
- Bad Communication Skills Hold You Back
- Get a Masters Degree in Motivation